Here are some ways to permanently delete files on your PC before selling it:
- Use the Shift + Delete keyboard shortcut. When you delete a file using the Shift + Delete keyboard shortcut, it is not sent to the Recycle Bin and is instead deleted permanently. To do this, select the file you want to delete and press Shift + Delete. Windows will ask you to confirm the deletion. Click Yes to proceed.
- Use a file shredder software. File shredder software is designed to overwrite deleted files multiple times, making it much more difficult for someone to recover them. There are many different file shredder software programs available, so you can choose one that best suits your needs.
- Format your hard drive. Formatting your hard drive will erase all of the data on it, including deleted files. To do this, open Disk Management in Windows and right-click the hard drive you want to format. Select Format and follow the on-screen instructions.
Once you have permanently deleted the files on your PC, you can be confident that they will not be able to be recovered. This is important if you are selling your PC to someone else, as you do not want them to be able to access your personal data.
Here are some additional tips for securely deleting files:
- Do not use the Recycle Bin. When you delete a file using the Recycle Bin, it is still possible for someone to recover it. To make sure that a file is deleted permanently, you should use one of the methods above.
- Be careful what you delete. Before you delete a file, make sure that you do not need it anymore. If you are unsure, it is always better to keep the file than to delete it and then realize that you need it later.
- Use a strong password. If you are using a file shredder software program, make sure that you use a strong password to protect the software. This will prevent someone from accessing the software and recovering the deleted files.
By following these tips, you can be sure that your personal data will be safe and secure when you sell your PC.